Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Guest Review: My Parents - "Happy Birthday to You"

Jasper sent me a review over IM of the limited edition single "Happy Birthday to You," a cover of the classic Orem and Forman song performed a capella by husband-wife outfit My Parents.


Song: "Happy Birthday"
Voice Mail Records, 2009
Rating: ******** (8/10)

I just listened to a voicemail from my parents. As soon as I saw whom it was from and the length, I knew exactly what was going to be on it. It was 44 seconds long and from their home phone.

They did a pretty good job of it though, sang in approximately the same key. My dad even did a little harmony thing at the end. My mom was not quite prepared to hold down the melody so she dropped out, but still, on a scale with most covers of the song, quite respectable. I guess that is not saying much.

Wow, I think I just wrote musical criticism of my parents singing me "Happy Birthday."


I post this as a cautionary tale for those thinking of pursuing music criticism as career or hobby. Kids, you don't want to end up like this.

No comments: