Thursday, August 6, 2009

Live: Ringo Deathstarr + the Vandelles

When: 7/31
Where: Cameo

I reviewed the Vandelles pretty recently, also at Cameo, so I won't repeat myself. The band still rocked and this time, seemed to be genuinely having fun too.

I have said many times that Ringo Deathstarr is the best contemporary shoegaze band around. And that's because they absolutely are. The thickly layered, distorted, tremolo guitars are straight from Loveless, but coupled with the melodic sensibility of the Jesus & Mary Chain. No, it's not the most original music out there, but that doesn't change the fact that it's some of the most enjoyable.

To be honest, the band is about average live, not boring to watch by any means, but not anything unusual. To me, this point is almost negligible because hearing shoegaze live and loud is always rewarding. And though not particularly active or engaging while playing, the band still managed to gain momentum in their set by keeping the sound and songs flowing.

The band played the best songs off their 2007 EP and a couple other familiar songs, along with some new material. I heard one good Manchester-esque beat and some catchy new melodies too. I think there's an album on the way, so get ready!

The night was finished off by Blacklist, but I'm saving that for a separate review. Stay tuned...

No comments: