Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Upcoming Shows: Thanksgiving Weekend

If you're sticking it out in New York for the holiday, you're probably wondering what to do with yourself while all your friends are out of town. Well, you're in luck because I have the answer: go to shows! (And specifically, if you are my friend "H" who asked me what you would do without me, here you go!)

Friday

Phosphorescent / Virgin Forest
@ The Bell House, Brooklyn ($10)
For a fun evening with guitars and pianos, check out this show. It's been over a year since I've heard these guys, but as I recall, Phosphorescent plays really fun indie-psychedelic-folk with an electric guitar and a Southern bent. His friends Virgin Forest will support. They play something similar to him, though less psychedelic and more pretty and folky, with male-female vocals and piano. I think they're from Georgia, and they sound it.

Grandmaster Flash
@ Studio B, Brooklyn ($10/$20)
Does this need explanation? Grandmaster Flash, the first and best of hip-hop.

Saturday

Gang Gang Dance / Marnie Stern
@ Music Hall of Williamsburg, Brooklyn ($15)
I don't have anything on my Calendar Of Awesome Music for Saturday, but Pop Tarts Suck Toasted recommends this show and he's usually right. So check it out.

Sunday

Arms
@ Cake Shop ($6)
Just as arms are a great body-part, Arms is a great band! They are fuzzy poppy indie rock with hints of psychedelia and shoegaze, and they are one of the best in their field these days. You really need to check them out before they get huge.

No comments: